Thoughts about security.
There are four aspects of security to consider:
- The sending of your name and password (logging in).
- The transfer of message and page contents between networks.
- Backend and Administrative functions.
- The contents of messages outside of our control.
A little background on Internet Protocols:
- SMTP with STARTTLS encrypts authentication and message in transit.
- Submission (outgoing on port 587) is encrypted using STARTTLS.
- POP3 (incomining on port 110) . POP3 is not encrypted in any aspect.
- POP3s (incoming on port 995 with STARTTLS). POP3s encrypts authentication and message in transit.
- IMAP (access messages on port 143). IMAP is not encrypted in any aspect.
- IMAPs (access messages on port 993 with STARTTLS). IMAPs encrypts authentication and content.
- Web (HTTP client). No encryption.
- Secure Web (HTTPs). Everything is encrypted using the Texas Star Net Certificate.